NTU Visual Arts Society

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official forum of the NTU Visual Arts Society

+4
kamikazer
yuriko
Gin
Stifler
8 posters

Short film to be shown during the Welcome Tea

Stifler
    Stifler

Short film to be shown during the Welcome Tea Empty Short film to be shown during the Welcome Tea

Post by Stifler Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Well, we've decided to show "Hoshi no Koe - Voices of a Distant Star" during the Welcome Tea. As discussed, we will need to find another short film (or anime episode) to show for the Welcome Week.

As said during the meeting, do throw up whatever official DVDs you might have. When the titles are up, I'll set up a poll so you can vote for whatever title you want.

All 7 Kara no Kyoukai movies. The shortest (Overlooking View) is 48 minutes long.

Code Geass......But I don't think that anyone would be watching this.

NANA: ......But this doesn't really apply as a one shot.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days: Awesome movie, but too long.

Gurren Lagann: Awesome series, and can easily be watched any time.

Umm....I think that's it for me. Do post what you have. Personally, and because of my own interest, I'm leading towards Kara no Kyoukai. Ahaha.
    Gin
    Gin

Short film to be shown during the Welcome Tea Empty Re: Short film to be shown during the Welcome Tea

Post by Gin Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:59 pm

NO CODE GEASS PLEASE.

I have no suggestions in the meantime, well, except something funny would be good. If only we have Genshiken or something...
    yuriko
    yuriko

Short film to be shown during the Welcome Tea Empty Re: Short film to be shown during the Welcome Tea

Post by yuriko Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:03 am

haha... dun worry... Joan not there... you CAN avoid having code geass playing... Laughing
    yuriko
    yuriko

Post by yuriko Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 am

BTW.. we really have to show the "hardcopy" of the animes...??
    kamikazer
    kamikazer

Post by kamikazer Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:11 am

Top wo Nerae 2, Ep2 or 3? i'm a fan, what can i say... there's action and story...
    Slayers OVA? can lame enough for some that they dislike it...
    Mahou Shoutengai Abenobashi? Parody/Comedy, might be a bit niche due to references...
    Pani Poni Dash? similar to Abenobashi, but at a more hardcore level... by Akiyuki Shinbo... so...

i love KnK myself, but i think its too niche to be showing it on Welcome Tea...
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:36 am

Personally, I'm leaning towards something that is comedic in nature, to complement Voices for being so serious and emo. Genshiken would have been an awesome choice, but sadly none of us have it in physical form.

In terms of short fun episodic stuff to watch, I have:

FLCL
    This is great stuff, wacky, eccentrically animated, but may not conform to mainstream tastes

Gurren Lagann

Haruhi
    We did use this last year, and Haruhi is so overdone

Cowboy Bebop
    Lots of great episodic stories, but too common?

The Big O
    A bit niche though

Azumanga Daioh
    Good ol Azumanga! The question is which episode to choose.

Western Stuff:
    Justice League (Unlimited)
    BAtman: The Animated Series

On the really short side ( <10min)
    DC Animated Shorts (The Spectre)
    Pixar Shorts
    Looney Tunes

BTW, if you guys have interesting MADs, do send me as well, wee can play it to the PRe-7pm attendees
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:40 am

kamikazer wrote:Top wo Nerae 2, Ep2 or 3? i'm a fan, what can i say... there's action and story...
    Slayers OVA? can lame enough for some that they dislike it...
    Mahou Shoutengai Abenobashi? Parody/Comedy, might be a bit niche due to references...
    Pani Poni Dash? similar to Abenobashi, but at a more hardcore level... by Akiyuki Shinbo... so...

i love KnK myself, but i think its too niche to be showing it on Welcome Tea...

You have Pani Poni Dash? Hmm... might be a good choice for a comedy series....though a little on the otaku centric side?
    Stifler
    Stifler

Post by Stifler Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:36 am

I'd throw my vote for FLCL, Slayers and Azumanga. You can never go wrong with comedy.

yuriko wrote:BTW.. we really have to show the "hardcopy" of the animes...??

Yeah, unfortunately.
    Gin
    Gin

Post by Gin Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:03 pm

What kind of MAD do you want? Durarara parodies are always there, there're quite a lot of Hetalia MAD (you can never go wrong with portraying history and the relationships of nations), KHR has many too.....

ALL IN SUPPORT FOR COMEDY!!!
    chronorec
    chronorec

Post by chronorec Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:44 pm

votes for azumanga too.
    On a side note, I have vampires suck already
    Stifler
    Stifler

Post by Stifler Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:14 pm

@Vampire: You bloody sucking pirate. Now let us watch it.

@Gin: Your signature is too big. Cut it down to size.

Also, just bring your MADs. We'll screen them and see which one to pick.
    Hirito
    Hirito

Post by Hirito Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Hmm... throwing in my 2 cent's worth of VCD/DVDs that I have

Love Hina - Winter Special
    End of Eva
    Sakura Taisen OVA II (there's 6 eps though)
    Ah My Goddess Movie (Amos said could be for future movie screenings though)
    Stifler
    Stifler

Post by Stifler Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:30 pm

I would save "Ah! My Goddess" for future full length films. "End of EVA" would be too confusing, even for EVA fans. Love Hina...well if it's short enough.
    kamikazer
    kamikazer

Post by kamikazer Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:21 pm

question: are people who come for the welcome tea solely there to watch anime only? meaning to say, they wont go if we show them something they definitely enjoy... must we necessarily show something mainstream? arent people interested in widening their horizons? shouldnt we try to widen their horizon? or should we just treat them as casual watchers? is it really unwise to show them something different?
    i have trouble expressing myself here, so i hope u guys understand what i'm trying to say...

(i think i'm ranting here... sorry, i a bit emo...)

i'm always for something unusual and different... so i'm against azumanga...
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:06 pm

I can understand what you are trying to convey, KL, but we also want to generate an fun enjoyable atmosphere to help kick off and permeate the event. If we show them something a bit experimental, not mainstream, I get the feeling alot will "catch no ball", and may bring them out of the right mood for the event.

If they want to expand their horizons, we can always do it through our meetings.

Perhaps to further refine the search, we should also propose which episode to screen out of the series nominated.

FLCL
    This is the sort of anime you can only start watching from the beginning. It has to be the first episode!

Gurren Lagann

The Onsen episode? though it may turn some people off as well.

Haruhi
    We used the baseball episode last year which I feel is the best standalone episode. Otherwise maybe "Live Alive" or "Day of Sagittarius"

Cowboy Bebop
    The Cowboy Andy episode. Lots of great humour and good fast paced action in a standalone package.

The Big O
    "The Greatest Rival" You got to love an episode done by Japanese that stereotypes themselves

Azumanga Daioh
    One of the Sports or School festival episode methinks would work best

Memories - "Stink Bomb"
    Forgot to nominate this. A really funny short about a salaryman who becomes a weapon of mass destruction (or flatulence?) after ingesting an experimental medicine and how the the Japanese Government attempts to eliminate him. Another Good things is that I'm sure almost no one has watched this before (except Hirito and Liz I think?)

Justice League Unlimited
    "Double Date" Good (Western)Humour, Good Action, Standalone, need I say more?

kamikazer
    kamikazer

Post by kamikazer Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:18 pm

i'm always good with FLCL, but the lack of point at the start might not sit well with some... fun and all but i think many will simply catch no ball...

TTGL, onsen is fun but i think the first few episodes where they first met littner village and viral would be a good place to start with...

Haruhi, last year there already...

i've never seen Big-O or Memories... so i'm cool... bebop will be fine too...
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:26 pm

Just did a check, I think the Stink Bomb portion of Memories runs around 45 mins, maybe another time perhaps?

As for other stuff I have... I don't think stuff like the original SDF Macross, Macross Plus, GiTs SAC, Fantastic Children, Gundam 0080, do not quite have widespread appeal or standalone ability.

Evangelion? I personally believe the "Dance Like You Both want to win" episode might work.
    yuriko
    yuriko

Post by yuriko Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:33 pm

I do agree that most will find themselves "catching no ball"... how about recommending some titles here, and see who has or have the "hardcopies"... coz i think my hardcopies, is a bit not suitable for welcome tea session... Sad
    Gin
    Gin

Post by Gin Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:15 am

@Stif Fine
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:50 pm

It has come to my attention that ADM library has the full FMP Fumoffu on DVD as well. There's an option to consider!
    Stifler
    Stifler

Post by Stifler Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:35 pm

Awesome! Someone borrow it!
    Gin
    Gin

Post by Gin Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:28 pm

*looks at certain ADM students*
    Gin
    Gin

Post by Gin Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:30 pm

Hmm, speaking of which, should we go Esplanade library to check out the DVDs?
    sakiaishida
    sakiaishida

Post by sakiaishida Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:46 pm

haha. I have no hardcopies of anything besides Odex...stuff. which I would not recc. screening. XD

The only one I'll rec probably (very reluctantly..dammit I need to get down to buying a better boxset of this anime >.>) is a dual sound odex Earth Girl Arjuna, Jap and Chinese (but this is also a very "catch no ball" anime lol)

Although I do have a suggestion. Since Lizzy wants to Cos Echizen, and me and peishy isn't adverse to do Eiji and Tezuka with her. and Siyu does have the PoT series. For the sake of having a theme (and we can keep the Cos outfit on DURING the welcome tea itself) why not screen an episode of PoT? <-- haha Mainstream and all aside. It does seem like a idea. XD
    Gin
    Gin

Post by Gin Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:28 am

hmm, if only we have the tenipuri ova - that yakiniku battle was entertaining XD

If only we have katekyo hitman reborn too....there's a KHR special that's hilarious and total crack =)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:45 am