NTU Visual Arts Society

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official forum of the NTU Visual Arts Society

+2
Kageshiro
Stifler
6 posters

Eva 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance Discussion *spoilers ahoy!*

Poll

You would rather watch Eva 2.0 on the?

[ 0 ]
    Eva 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance Discussion *spoilers ahoy!* - Page 2 Bar_left0%Eva 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance Discussion *spoilers ahoy!* - Page 2 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Eva 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance Discussion *spoilers ahoy!* - Page 2 Bar_left100%Eva 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance Discussion *spoilers ahoy!* - Page 2 Bar_right [100%] 

Total Votes: 2
    Poll closed
    chronorec
    chronorec

Eva 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance Discussion *spoilers ahoy!* - Page 2 Empty Re: Eva 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance Discussion *spoilers ahoy!*

Post by chronorec Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:46 am

Stifler wrote:Okay, so I will be buying the 4.00 pm tickets. No objections?

So I will be getting tickets for
    1) mazatsushi
    2) Gestaltgeek
    3) Myself
    4) No one else?
    I think there's no 4pm show.. only a 4am show?
    Kageshiro
    Kageshiro

Eva 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance Discussion *spoilers ahoy!* - Page 2 Empty Re: Eva 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance Discussion *spoilers ahoy!*

Post by Kageshiro Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:51 am

O_O oh yea true true...hope they realise in time though...
    kamikazer
    kamikazer

Post by kamikazer Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:54 am

Stifler wrote:Okay, so I will be buying the 4.00 pm tickets. No objections?

So I will be getting tickets for
    1) mazatsushi
    2) Gestaltgeek
    3) Myself
    4) No one else?

there's me too...
    Stifler
    Stifler

Post by Stifler Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:46 pm

Updated. 4 tickets to 5.10 seating. Last call. Inform me by 2300 hours tonight, Thursday, 12th November.
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:26 pm

Wait, is Kageshiro joining us or not?
    Stifler
    Stifler

Post by Stifler Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:38 pm

No. Kage got the Sat tickets.

Tickets bought. PS me at your own peril. XD
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:48 am

So now that we've confirmed attendance, what's the plan for Sunday?
    Stifler
    Stifler

Post by Stifler Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:17 am

Meet at Somerset at 4.30. I'll be there by 4 to collect tickets. After movie, we can go for dinner.

Also, a couple of my friends will be coming along, so don't be surprised to see unfamiliar faces. lol
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:20 pm

Roger. I'll be heading down to Kinokuniya before that at around 3:45. If anyone wants to meet there feel free to join me.
    Kageshiro
    Kageshiro

Post by Kageshiro Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:21 am

i've got projects i need to finish up on sunday for monday anyways so just as well i'm down for sat. so today dinner how stifler? b4 7 or dinner on our own and just meet at 7...
    Stifler
    Stifler

Post by Stifler Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:24 pm

MOVIE WAS FREAKING EPIC!!!!

Good thing i'll be watching it again tomorrow. Ahahahaha
    Kageshiro
    Kageshiro

Post by Kageshiro Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:41 pm

see? epic is epic~~ thats y so hard to restrain myself...no AT field here to block it~~ oh btw...the concept of being able to "throw/shoot" an AT field came from eva unit-02 in the original series, i believe it was death and rebirth, asuka threw an AT field as a weapon against the UN forces when nerv was being attacked...(after which she got pwned by the mass production series).
    kamikazer
    kamikazer

Post by kamikazer Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:28 pm

ABSOLUTE OWNZ!

tempted to re-watch with friends who havent watched it yet...

now that the active forum Eva2.0 people are back, discussions and spoilers are going to start flying... time to tag this thread as a spoiler just in case people who havent watch it wander in?
    Kageshiro
    Kageshiro

Post by Kageshiro Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:01 pm

so can start the no holds barred discussion yet?

anyone have any questions regarding any scene or what was redone? hehehe...

most likely no more mass production series eva (originally 05-13) it might have seemed like they were taking the shortcut in the original anime by making so many....even though they still managed to make a few formations with 9 of them...including the tree of sephiroth...

eva 04 was destroyed like in the original
    eva 05 was piloted/self destructed by mari

some ppl think mari doesn't quite seem to fit in
    it is hinted mari is working together with kaji somewhat to do these "accidents" on the other bases...
    which explains how she was able to sneak ard NERV as well as y kaji was so close to EVA unit 01 at the end

mari was told to "enter japan covertly", she was nvr properly introduced as a pilot. her pink plugsuit is most likely borrowed from somewhere or was already made for her just that she sneaked it out early.

eva Mark-06 is piloted by the gay guy (note the name change to mark and not unit)
    eva 07 wasn't mentioned for some reason...hint at another atk and self destruction
    eva 08 is...not quite certain but i feel that it was to be piloted by mari since there wasn't a direct mention of a new char. it colour scheme also seem to match mari's somewhat...

oh yea btw the spear that kaoru threw, is NOT the spear of longinus (holy lance/spear of destiny) which was still stuck into lilith. Not sure if it is another Gae Bolg (notched spear) or some other kind of spear like gungnir (odin's spear of heaven). (do note that although the one lancer uses looks similar to eva's spear of longinus, it is known as gae bolg i think)

think thats all for me for now
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:27 pm

Some of us agreed that post exams, we should have some sort of gathering over at my place, not only to hang out in general but have an Eva recap session. Seeing as some of us are flying off during the holidays, it is likely the window of opportunity falls within the 13th to 15th of December.

So, Who's game?

(maybe I should open a seperate thread for this)
    kamikazer
    kamikazer

Post by kamikazer Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:03 am

stifler or some mod should change the topic title... spoilers have arrived...

the first battle between Eva05 and the unnamed angel, that kinda went too fast and messy for my taste, couldnt really make head or tails out of who did what damage where...

asuka's intro battle was good except the "inazuma kick" felt kinda ripped off from somewhere else... otherwise the rest of the battle scenes are just so exciting... love the pain they have to endure during the struggles...

asuka's encounter with Pen-Pen... super LOL! her tsundere(?) personality has grown on me since i didnt notice it during the TV series... or perhaps i wasnt aware of character archetypes during then...

mari didnt turn out the way i expected... wasnt expecting a somewhat "psychotic" girl who seems to get a certain kick out of the heat of battles... "war-junkie"? otherwise, her meganekko moments were nice.

yaoi moments... wow!

generally, i like the direction the characters are moving compared to the original TV series... ayanami is a lot more likeable here (moe?)... so is asuka...

the light-hearted moments were a little too light, found it a bit jarring... maybe i'm too used to angsty shows... or my naturally expecting it to be angsty... they did reduce the amount of emo/inner-conflicting thoughts scenes, which i consider to be a good direction...

otherwise, i do miss some of the other angels that were shafted(?)...

cliffhanger ending leaves room for much anticipation, but the wait is going to be too long... sucks...

oh, and is it me or the 1st movie seem to have better artwork? more 3d...
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:52 am

Since this is now a discussion thread, I'll change the titles and shift this over to the general anime area.
    Kageshiro
    Kageshiro

Post by Kageshiro Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:01 pm

erm...i think 2.0 has a lot more 3D work u know...just that it is all hidden very well...e.g. the entire city is cg of course, epicic running~ ...so are the angels...and the evas...i think its more 3D heavy this time than 1.0, only the last angel in 1.0 looked 3D-ish...think back again and see...

do note that there were a total of 5 angels in 2.0, compared to 3 in 1.0...more angels = more epic battles...although the 1st 2 was a bit too fast...was mari fighting the variation of the sea angel that asuka and shinji fought in the original? and asuka kicked the original "twin angels" to death...

abt asuka being a tsundere...its only for this movie in anycase. Her personality wasn't as much of a tsundere in the original series. E.g. her one and only tsundere moment was when she went to sleep next to shinji. other than that they didn't really give her another tsundere moment in the original. they didn't give her her signature yellow dress though...though they made up for those panchira scenes in other scenes instead. kinda wonder y she didn't get to speak german at all this time... no guten morgen...

reminds me...to sum it up, her original personality was more of a...um...bitch as ppl will say...tsuntsun rather than tsundere...

i love the scene changes~~ especially the lift scene, in the original one rei does not put up any resistance and gets slapped by asuna, there was no dinner event in the original

and the tape player is now like a very important item in the story XD
    mazatsushi
    mazatsushi

Post by mazatsushi Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:53 pm

They took a radically different direction with individual character development for this movie. Now the girls have almost the same personality as their counterparts in Girlfriend of Steel.
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:19 pm

kamikazer wrote:
    asuka's intro battle was good except the "inazuma kick" felt kinda ripped off from somewhere else... otherwise the rest of the battle scenes are just so exciting... love the pain they have to endure during the struggles...

I would think of it more as a homage, that entire fight seemed that way for me. It even had an Itano Circus sequence thrown in for good measure. Anyway Gunbuster and eva were both directed by Hideaki Anno, so he's not ripping off anyone but himself.

kamikazer wrote:
    generally, i like the direction the characters are moving compared to the original TV series... ayanami is a lot more likeable here (moe?)... so is asuka...

Even Shinji is rather different in the Rebuild, or at least seems to be heading ina different direction. This represents a big thematic shift from the Tv series. At this juncture in the TV series, Shinji finds that, after a period of temporary happiness, his life grows increasingly out of his control. He could do nothing but watch when Eva-01 under the dummy system tore apart Eva-03. And even when he rushed back to help NERV against the next angel, Zeruel, he doesn't defeat it himself, but instead loses control of EVA-01 to its Beast mode. This puts him on a downward spiral of despair which he only manages to recover from in the last episode of the tV series or the EoE movie.

Here in rebuild, sure, Shinji again loses control of EVA-01 to the dummy system, but in the Zereul fight, he is actually in control of Eva-01's beserk mode this time.He seems to be channeling a bit of
    Gurren Lagann's Simon,doing the impossible, seeing the invisible and (Successfully!) piercing the heavens with his Giga Emo Breaker to get what he achieve what he desires. Who knows, he may be all "Row Row! Fight the power!" by the next movie. Okay, maybe not that far, but admittedly this change makes sense from a storytelling standpoint for this movie. Even though it is a supposed to be a multipart series of movies, each of the individual movies still need to adhere to some proper story structure with build up, climax and resolution, which came in the form of Shinji's character journey. Sure it ended on a cliffhanger, the main plot is the thread tying all the movies together, naturally it will only be resolved over the course of the movies.

Kageshiro wrote:
    i love the scene changes~~ especially the lift scene, in the original one rei does not put up any resistance and gets slapped by asuna

I quickly flipped out my stopwatch when that scene came along. The original Tv series version of the scene had them just standing around in the lift in compelte silence for exactly one whole minute. Somewhat disappointingly this one only lasted under 10 secs.

Kageshiro wrote:
    and the tape player is now like a very important item in the story XD

Yet another interesting thematic change here as well. In the TV series, the tape recorder was like a representation of Shinji cutting himself off from the rest of the world. In Rebuild, it's now being used as a way for Rei to connect with Shinji and subsequently her humanity.
    Kageshiro
    Kageshiro

Post by Kageshiro Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:20 pm

well part of the reason y it doesn't last a minute is that 1 min in an elevator...(with this kind of technology) can take u dunno how many lvls...but also, 10 sec is a long enough silence to get the desired effect, if not fans might just complain it is just wasting time. "Timing" is more inportant in a movie to keep the suspense up, while in an anime episode, it might just be to fill up time...

i still wonder where the jets he used while running came from =_=;;

pls pls...can more ppl read/hear the radio drama...its really a must know

Translated Script

I can try to upload or pass ard the full mp3 if anyone wants later but here is a fan made video to accompany the radio drama so it can help people to visualise what is happening better

parts 1-5

6-11

the "SOUND ONLY" part right at the end...really funny to hear a scene with sound effects all made by people XD

SUMMARY AND POSSIBLE SPOILER

Part 1 : regroup and explain they need to come up with new storyline
    Part 2 : new see through plug suits (probably the inspiration for the TEST plug suit asuka wears
    Part 3 : discuss favourite character and changing the main character to rei
    Part 4 : sch scene, rei talks a lot and beats up asuka
    Part 5 : discuss making eva into a "sentai" (like power rangers) show

Part 6 : Introduce themselves in typical sentai fashion
    Part 7 : Read fan mail for suggestions like...y can't evas transform or power-up (this is another idea that got ported to 2.0, "The Beast" mode)
    Part 8 : u hear evas transforming into a lot of weird things as well as a 3-in-1 super eva...
    Part 9 : Discuss that the angels nvr really got to introduce who they are...
    Part 10 : So now u get to hear the origins of Angels...its really lol for anyone who wants to know where the Angels come from... (one is a "BlackGod from mars...the other is SpaceBlackGod from Great Black Hole via the White Hole express...)
    Part 11 : they've run out of time, with not enough time to "do" a animated episode they decide to do a "SOUND ONLY" idea with everyone pitching in to do the sound effects, u get to hear Gendou doing the sound effects for the launch pad XD

really a must hear...
    kamikazer
    kamikazer

Post by kamikazer Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:22 pm

Gestaltgeek wrote:
    kamikazer wrote:

I would think of it more as a homage, that entire fight seemed that way for me. It even had an Itano Circus sequence thrown in for good measure. Anyway Gunbuster and eva were both directed by Hideaki Anno, so he's not ripping off anyone but himself.

Kageshiro wrote:
    i love the scene changes~~ especially the lift scene, in the original one rei does not put up any resistance and gets slapped by asuna

I quickly flipped out my stopwatch when that scene came along. The original Tv series version of the scene had them just standing around in the lift in compelte silence for exactly one whole minute. Somewhat disappointingly this one only lasted under 10 secs.

even though those are gainax's works as well, i dont like them contaminating EVA with something else... EVA is a very distinct series that stands very well on its own... it doesnt have to emulate anyone else. if anything, others should be emulating eva...

considering that they are rebuilding eva, time should be expensive real estate... u dont really wanna waste another 50seconds building the angsty mood... then again, 50seconds is pretty much nothing in a 2hour timeframe...

about redone scenes, i got tempted and rewatched the episode 18, the battle with bardiel (aka infected eva 03), to confirm my memory, which was right...

in the TV series, shinji was able to see everything that the dummy system was doing to eva03... and had at some point tried to futilely stop it by yanking on the controls multiple times while mumbling "stop, stop, stop..." kinda lines... very disturbing scene...

whereas in the movie, the monitors where shut down once they cut his sync... he never really got to see what happened, and was constantly trying, hoping to see something on the monitor with the dummy system "blocking" his view... less disturbing than the TV series...
    Kageshiro
    Kageshiro

Post by Kageshiro Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:34 pm

=_=;; erm....abt him mentioning the "tomare tomare tomare" (stop stop stop) its both in the TV and the movie, so i dunno what u are trying to mention there...

and i do think that not knowing what is actually happening is actually more frightening then simply seeing it. since he couldn't see it this time, the impt line would be, "what that sound?" I do love how they use those "happy songs" during some frightening scene to totally change the mood XD the lyrics are really ftw XD. Komm Susser Todd (Come Sweet Death) for End of Eva was somewhat similar and i think the two songs in the movie might have been following along those lines.

Oh yea...more comments abt Mari...i kinda love how it really seems like she belongs in more recent anime, or more like from the "future" in a sense...meganekko/boin/SEED mode?/care-free battle style with attitude/speaks english(lol asuka spoke like only one word of german in the TV series in comparison)/best of all...she speak Nyaa-dialect O_O i think i heard her end several sentences with nyaa...(e.g. "itetete, shinchau tokoro da nyaa" after she landed on the building that shinji was hiding in)

still can't get over the "Illustrious" part of her name...its so out of place in the series.

and the fan base now refer to Asuka as...Captain Asuka, back from the dead...
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:20 pm

kamikazer wrote:
    even though those are gainax's works as well, i dont like them contaminating EVA with something else... EVA is a very distinct series that stands very well on its own... it doesnt have to emulate anyone else. if anything, others should be emulating eva...

Contaminating sounds rather harsh. In the first place, the original Eva borrows alot from previous works by both Gainax and others, including Gunbuster, Nadia, Nausicaa, Ultraman, Ideon and many others. Paying tribute to other works is very much a part of geek or otaku culture, and alot of the Eva production crew then and now can be said among the pioneering members of otaku culture, so it's very much in their blood to do so. Homages are only bad if they go overboard and detract from the actual story plotting and direction of the show which I feel isn't the case here, merely additional eye candy. In the end, it is not the action, but the story themes of Evangelion that make it somewhat unique from other Anime.

Kageshiro wrote:I do love how they use those "happy songs" during some frightening scene to totally change the mood XD the lyrics are really ftw XD. Komm Susser Todd (Come Sweet Death) for End of Eva was somewhat similar and i think the two songs in the movie might have been following along those lines.

Amusingly, in the soundtrack, the titles of the two song are appended with "tribute to Sound of Music". huh.
    Kageshiro
    Kageshiro

Post by Kageshiro Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:32 am

oh yea i was saying to stifler at one time that Eva Unit 01 started to resemble *EDIT* OHMA the GOD WARRIOR (Ohma and Ohmu names are too similar...=_=;Wink from Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind (Anime dated 1984, b4 evangelion\'s 1996)

there is a fine line between homage and parody...

(if its a serious anime its homage, if its a gag anime its parody...jkjk lol)

Imagine Shinji or Asuka or even....Rei? saying Rena\'s \"Uso Da!!!\" or laughing psycotically like her...

Think hearing a Rei saying either \"Ikari-kun, mitsuketa...\" parody of Rena\'s \"Keichi-kun, mitsuketa...\" would be quite creepy...or while pushing the missle into the angel...\"Ippen...shinde miru\" >_<;; ...so want a rei version of jigoku shoujo...

ahh gomen gomen mengo...i side tracked too much...but it is sort of an example of how some otakus like to see anime with characters in similar roles cosplaying as each other or just mimiking quotes or actions. Its taking an event out of its original context that makes it all the more interesting.

Last edited by Kageshiro on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:31 am