NTU Visual Arts Society

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official forum of the NTU Visual Arts Society

+9
Ocha
kamikazer
overmage
mazatsushi
Gin
chronorec
wwy
Gestaltgeek
chibichan
13 posters

Ani-W Video Idea Generator!

chibichan
    chibichan

Ani-W Video Idea Generator! Empty Ani-W Video Idea Generator!

Post by chibichan Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:20 pm

So during the recent meeting, we decided to scrap the Visual Novel Idea due to it being not feasible and decided to do a video production instead!

The idea that was most related to our club would be

"The Life of an Otaku!"

Reference Materials for Otaku-ish behaviours would be
    1. Genshiken
    2. (i forgot another one. will add it when i get home or if someone else beats me to it)

I'll add my ideas first. Please add on your ideas for plot scenarios!!! Since i suppose our movie might either be made up of different TYPES of insane maniacs XD or just a STEROTYPICAL otaku Very Happy

A) 7 Mysteries of NTU - an otaku(ref: Mayura Daidouji from Matantei Loki Ragnarok) acts out the role of the character and investigates. At the same time, he/she doing a rather insane (and clumsy) job at it? XD and going "Fushigi Mysteryyy~<3" which is mayura's famous words if any of u know ^^

B) A (compulsive obsessive XD) figurine collector ermm... obsessing over his/her figurines and doing all sorts of (ahem) poses with them and taking photos of them. XDDD

Other typical things will be (and at the same time, a whole load of calefare would be required XD):
    - going against crowds of ppl to their idol *cough*hatsunemiku*coughcough* and trying to get his personal merchandises signed. STAMPEDE!
    - LONG LONG LONG queues to a convention
    - Going Crazy Collecting a certain specific highly rare figurine -,-
    - Otakus talking On... and on... AND ON... about their fav, and whatever else otaku talks about with all the jargons and stuff XD
    - The swirly specs @.@ hahahas
    - oh i dunno... tell me, correct me. Let's hear it Very Happy

More importantly, we should make it interesting hence why one way... the swirly/nerdy specs or otherwise or some special effects like anime-related sound effects XD.

WRITE SCENARIOS~ CONTRIBUTE~ Let's have fun doing this XD
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Ani-W Video Idea Generator! Empty Re: Ani-W Video Idea Generator!

Post by Gestaltgeek Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:02 pm

Other Reference Material for the life of Otaku includes stuff like Densha Otoko, or Sexy Voice and Robo, basically these two are examples of how we can frame the Life of an Otaku theme within an actual story plot.

It doesn't have to be the life of a single otaku, possibly we can go the genshiken route and follow the life of an anime club (perhaps the "fictional" NTU Japanese Animation Club). Makes it easier to bring in conflict to the plot since as we all know, we otakus have different tastes in things. Also gives us an excuse to bring in parodies of anime in the form of exaggerated reality through the anime tinted eyes of otaku.

Reference for live action parodies:
    College Saga (FF Parody which we all saw last meeting)
    Rolling Bomber (Sentai parody, courtesy of wwy)

Or we can go the mockumentary route, a full on discovery channel type documentary on the "lifestyle, habitat and behavourial patterns of Singapore Otaku", with Queen's english accented narrator and fake interviews and such. One good reference for this is the anime Otaku no Video.

Or if we leave the life of an Otaku theme behind, there is an increasing trend for Anime to be adapted into live action. What we can do is create a mock trailer of a low budget adaptation of some (or several) anime that you would never expect to receive live action treatment.
    wwy
    wwy

Post by wwy Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:03 pm

i'm more for the kind of idea that everybody can identify with, rather than some niche thing that you have to be an otaku to appreciate. i mean, people aren't necessarily interested in otaku unless they're one themselves, or somewhere along that line.
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:53 pm

wwy wrote:i'm more for the kind of idea that everybody can identify with, rather than some niche thing that you have to be an otaku to appreciate. i mean, people aren't necessarily interested in otaku unless they're one themselves, or somewhere along that line.

The thing is, as AnimeWorks, it's best to do something anime related so that it is at least somewhat related to our scope, so if we do live action stuff, it's either reenactment/parodies of anime or depictions of anime fans themselves.

Well depending on how we want to distro the video, even if it is very otaku centric, we can find an audience, especially if we upload to places like youtube.
    chronorec
    chronorec

Post by chronorec Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:31 pm

A super sentai sounds identifiable with everyone, lol
    wwy
    wwy

Post by wwy Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:07 am

yeah, parodies of popular manga/anime are more likely to have a greater impact. not all who read pop manga/anime are otakus and will be more likely to identify with a parody video than an otakucentric one.
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:20 am

Then we will come to the question of what series to parody, and not everyone will watch that one particular series we settle on, again coming back to the question of whether our audience is limited.

However, the way i see it is that doing the "life of an Otaku" theme gives us an excuse to do multiple parodies of more than one source within a somewhat cohesive structure.
    chibichan
    chibichan

Post by chibichan Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:10 am

yeaps quite true. it's more interesting to draw parodies from many anime Very Happy hahas then just one. we could put some "help" like maybe we insert a small clip from the anime then reverse it out as if we made a mistake and start our parody. Then audience who had no knowledge of it is aware that it was a parody? Of course it should be done more pro-er which means we're gonna need to tune up our video editing skills or use more FAMOUS parodies. I'm sure even non-anime watching audience would know stuff like dragonball and final fantasy given their popularity @.@ hahas
    Gin
    Gin

Post by Gin Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:24 am

Supporting parodies. And maybe parodied anime crossovers... *coughGintamacough* =)
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:52 pm

A quick search on youtube for anime live action parodies reveals horrors that were surely not meant for mere mortal eyes. Nevertheless there's some interesting real low budget ones.

Live Action Gundam (from the 80s!)

Also if we go the sentai/ power rangers or tokusatsu route in general, here's some fanfilms from Daicon Films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5Bszw7L5s
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2232750013734831521#
    mazatsushi
    mazatsushi

Post by mazatsushi Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:10 pm

Gestaltgeek wrote:A quick search on youtube for anime live action parodies reveals horrors that were surely not meant for mere mortal eyes. Nevertheless there's some interesting real low budget ones.

Live Action Gundam (from the 80s!)

Also if we go the sentai/ power rangers or tokusatsu route in general, here's some fanfilms from Daicon Films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5Bszw7L5s
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2232750013734831521#
    I came shockingly close to almost entering the netherworld while watching each of those videos Laughing

Anyways, low budget + fan-made ≠ priority express ticket to the afterlife.

The pre-production period will decide the eventual quality of our video, at least that's what my intuition tells me.
    overmage
    overmage

Post by overmage Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:11 pm

I tend to favour wwy's view on this.
    Then we will come to the question of what series to parody, and not everyone will watch that one particular series we settle on, again coming back to the question of whether our audience is limited.

However, the way i see it is that doing the "life of an Otaku" theme gives us an excuse to do multiple parodies of more than one source within a somewhat cohesive structure.

Perhaps the otaku-centric theme can draw from more a mix of popular animes. Even the average man on the street is sure to have heard of one of these:

Evangelion
    Gundam Seed
    DBZ (lol)
    Naruto
    Bleach
    Fullmetal Alchemist

Not saying that these are necessarily good choices, others to consider are such as Lucky Star, etc.

I mean you can have the life of some crazy dude who wears Kagami underwear and a power scouter to school everyday ;D

Otaku-centric need not reference obscure (well, to the common person like me, anyway) mangas/animes!
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:32 pm

If we want to increase accessibility, maybe instead or parodying specific anime titles, we parody the tropes and cliches that permeate the different anime genres. Our production can be some sort mish mash of all the different generic anime tropes to create one cross-genre production.

For those who don't know tropes, check out this website. Geeks enter at their own peril:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage
    Aniem specific tropes:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Anime
    chronorec
    chronorec

Post by chronorec Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Gestaltgeek wrote:If we want to increase accessibility, maybe instead or parodying specific anime titles, we parody the tropes and cliches that permeate the different anime genres. Our production can be some sort mish mash of all the different generic anime tropes to create one cross-genre production.

For those who don't know tropes, check out this website. Geeks enter at their own peril:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage
    Aniem specific tropes:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Anime
    +1
    ya I was like just thinking of the same thing Shocked

if we don't want the plot to be too heavy we can just do a generic hero saves beauty from villian haha
    kamikazer
    kamikazer

Post by kamikazer Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:12 am

do we have to limit ourselves to anime references?

otherwise any pop culture references would work fine too, i think. easier for normal audience to connect with. though i may just look like your any other stupid parody shows u find in the cinemas if we are not careful.

if we could mix them well with anime references with good wit, we may get a win here...
    Ocha
    Ocha

Post by Ocha Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:35 pm

wwy wrote:yeah, parodies of popular manga/anime are more likely to have a greater impact. not all who read pop manga/anime are otakus and will be more likely to identify with a parody video than an otakucentric one.

I know its been quite a few posts down alr, but I would just like to agree with this. I read Train man before and it was fine, but Genshiken is quite more 'hardcore'/deeper in a very diff direction which I cannot really relate to honestly altho I was sitting there for a extremely long time.

Also, I think the some of the suggestions below of live-action or parodies of popular anime sounds quite gd. Smile
    wwy
    wwy

Post by wwy Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:52 am

haha i just had an idea!!! find two thick-skinned people, dress them up in different costumes (preferably super sentai and villian type), and have them fight in the school. fighting may spill over into lectures but try not to overdo it in case campus security comes down hard on us.

then videotape it for kicks.
    kamikazer
    kamikazer

Post by kamikazer Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:41 am

wwy wrote:haha i just had an idea!!! find two thick-skinned people, dress them up in different costumes (preferably super sentai and villian type), and have them fight in the school. fighting may spill over into lectures but try not to overdo it in case campus security comes down hard on us.

dont super sentai always wear mask? we could do the same for villains... then no need thick-skinned people liao. just need them to be insane...
    chronorec
    chronorec

Post by chronorec Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:42 am

wwy wrote:haha i just had an idea!!! find two thick-skinned people, dress them up in different costumes (preferably super sentai and villian type), and have them fight in the school. fighting may spill over into lectures but try not to overdo it in case campus security comes down hard on us.

two thick-skinned people= wwy and gestaltgeek Very Happy
    wwy
    wwy

Post by wwy Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:13 am

naww thick skinned, not thick glasses
    chronorec
    chronorec

Post by chronorec Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:29 pm

so this was apparently from NUS yesterday, something along the lines of what you mentioned
    https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=188321353833&ref=nf
    wwy
    wwy

Post by wwy Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:41 pm

ohz. i was considering an extended fight sequence throughout the school: from can b to LKCLT then to LT1 then can A then LT1A. then we can film the whole extended scene for laughs
    JoanHong
    JoanHong

Post by JoanHong Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:11 am

I like the sentai and villian fight idea.

Yuuchou Sentai Dare Rangers (from lucky star) can be a theme song or something.
    Gestaltgeek
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:11 pm

VAS Sentai! Anime Red! Comics Blue! Designer Green! Three young allies of right with attitude whose mission is to spread appreciation of the visual arts throughout NTU, wielding their fists of justice if need be!
    wwy
    wwy

Post by wwy Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:27 pm

what shall our enemy be? the lumbering, un-cooperative S_C that hinders our quest for visual awareness each step of the way?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:56 pm